Protecting human sperm from the damaging effects of freezing and thawing.
It is an optimized solution for protecting human sperm from the damaging effects of freezing and thawing. The solution contains osmotically active ingredients to reduce intracellular water, and cryoprotectants to reduce injury caused by ice crystal formation.
NidaCon listens to clinicians: we have developed a new cryoprotectant for human sperm, free from egg yolk and containing a reduced concentration of glycerol. The final concentration of glycerol is only 5% once diluted with the sperm sample.
- Sodium chloride
- Magnesium sulphate
- Potassium dihydrogen phosphate
- Sodium bicarbonate
- Purified water
- Potassium chloride
- Calcium lactate
- Sodium pyruvate
- pH: 7.5 – 8.5
- Endotoxin levels: < 1.0 EU/mL
- Recovery rate of the original motile spermatozoa after freezing and thawing: >50%.
- Contents tested by human sperm survival only.
- Bottles and stoppers are MEA tested.
Storage and Stability
- Store at 2 to 30ºC and avoid temperatures above or below these values. Under these conditions Sperm CryoProtec™ has a shelf-life of 12 months. The expiry date is shown on both bottles and cartons.
- Open and close bottles under aseptic conditions. After opening, store at 2 to 8ºC when not in use. Shelf-life on the product label applies when the product is stored according to manufacturer’s recommendations.
- No antibiotics, unstable additives or preservatives have been added by the manufacturer to Sperm CryoProtec™.
Precautions and Warnings
- Use aseptic procedures at all times
- Sperm CryoProtec™ contains glycerol which is combustible. A material safety data sheet is available from the distributor or manufacturer (see nidacon.com)
- Do not use any solution which shows evidence of bacterial contamination
- Do not use contents if tamper-evident seal is broken
- Federal Law (USA) restricts this device to sale by or on the order of a physician
- Please check for regulatory compliance governing the use of ART products in your country
Although it is possible to freeze unprocessed semen, we recommend that the ejaculate be prepared on a PureSperm density gradient and washed with PureSperm Wash before adding Sperm CryoProtec™. This method removes seminal plasma, as well as ROS and their sources, thereby ensuring optimal recovery of motile sperm on thawing.
|Mfr. No. SCP-020||Sperm CryoProtec™ / 2 × 20 mL (Not available in Europe)|
Sperm CryoProtec Poster
Cryopreservation of Mammalian Sperm: What we ask them to survive
Hammerstedt et. al
Journal of Andrology, Vol 11, Jan/Feb 1990.
Cryopreservation of human semen, Comparison of Cryopreservatives, Sources of variability and prediction of post-thaw survival
Centola et. al
Journal of Andrology, Vol. 13, No. 3, May/June 1992.
The influence of cryoprotective media and processing procedures on motility and migration of frozen-thawed human sperm
McGonagle et. al
Asian J Androl 2002 Jun; 4: 137-141.
Cryopreservation of human spermatozoa. III. The effect of cryoprotectants on motility.
Critser JK et. al
Fertil Steril. 1988 Aug;50(2):314-20′.
Centrifugation and addition of glycerol at 22° C instead of 4 °C improve post-thaw motility and fertility of stallion spermatozoa.
Vidament M, et. al
Theriogenology. 2000 Oct 1;54(6):907-19.
Practical Laboratory Andrology
Practical Laboratory Andrology, 1994; 301-323.
Sperm preparation prior to freezing and storage: A risk reduction practice which also improves post thaw sperm motility.
Drury SL et al.
Birmingham Womens hospital., Poster